Environmental emergencies can come in many forms, but they have a common thread. An environmental emergency is a sudden event that may lead to environmental, human, and property damage. Emergencies are going to come up and there is nothing you can do to avoid them, however there is a lot you can do to prepare. Today we’re going to be talking about some of the things that you can do to ensure that you are prepped and primed for your next environmental emergency. Ready?
The Importance of Developing a HASP
A HASP or a “Health And Safety Plan” is a detailed guide required by OSHA that dictates what your company’s personnel need to do in the event of an emergency. Plans like this one are absolutely essential for the safety of your company, even when you’re calling on us to clean up your environmental emergency. These plans will also tell workers how to behave in their daily activities to minimize the damages done with common procedures. Included in every HASP, OSHA requires information on the following topics:
- Key Personnel • Hazard Assessment • Training • PPE • Temperature Extremes • Medical Surveillance • Exposure Monitoring and Air Sampling • Site Control • Decontamination • Emergency Response/ Contingency Plan • Emergency Action Plan • Confined Space Entry • Spill Containment
Here are some additional tips on handling an environmental emergency!
- Find out how to receive first-aid according to the guidelines in place.
- Do not move unless a member of the team is in immediate danger.
- For serious medical emergencies, call 911.
- Remember that the first priority is to keep yourself safe. Do not act alone without following safety procedures.
- Use the buddy system to help your fellow workers.
- If in doubt, contact your supervisor.
As long as you follow these guidelines, and the procedures dictated by your supervisor, you will be safe until we come to help you out. Remember, we’re only a phone call away.
Call on AEG Environmental for your environmental management needs!
No matter what kind of environmental management issue you may have, AEG Environmental can help. We handle every situation with care, dedication, and a commitment to exemplary customer service. When you have an emergency, you can rely on us! Need training? We can handle that too! We train in a wide variety of environmental management areas so that your company can remain compliant with EPA, DOT, and OSHA. Make sure to check out our blog for the latest and greatest in the waste management world! You should also follow us on social media for updates.
Call Toll Free: 18778761100
24 HR EMERGENCY RESPONSE: 4104947587