Are you wondering how important spill kits are for your facility? Perhaps you’re not sure what these spill kits have in them that makes them so valuable? Maybe you know that they are important, but you aren’t entirely sure why? That’s why we want to take time to review spill kits with you and let you know why they’re so important for you and your facility. Keep reading to learn everything you need to know about spill kits.
Knowing the Different Kinds of Spill Kits
There are many spill kit types. Each type is meant to address different spills, so you should consider what contaminants your facility is likely to face. This will help you determine the best kit for your needs. Here are three kits that you could pick:
- General Purpose: These kits are best-suited to address hydrocarbons and water-based liquids. You can also use them if you need gray absorbents.
- Hazmat: If your facility is exposed to extremely corrosive acids, as well as solvents, you should think about using the hazmat spill kit. The absorbents used in these kits are yellow, and they let you soak up hazardous liquids with little difficulty.
- Oil Only: These kits are created with the purpose of cleaning up oil, gasoline, and other hydrocarbons. You’ll find white absorbents in these kits, and they float on top of water in order to make cleaning easier and more effective.
What Spill Kits Need
Every spill kit is going to be a little bit different, but there are a few items that are necessities no matter what kind of kit you have. Here are some items every spill kit should have:
- Marked container that stores whatever unused spill kit materials you have
- Protective gear for staff working with dangerous substances
- Absorbents, including pillows, socks, and pads
- Disposable bags that have ties on them in order to handle any soiled absorbents you have
You also have to keep in mind that a spill kit should be suited for whatever sized spills you’re expecting to experience. Always keep worst-case situations in mind when considering what spills you think you could face.
Use Spill Kits to Respond Efficiently
Unless you can use a spill kit properly, it won’t do any good. That’s why you have to understand how to use these kits the right way. Here are steps your employees should follow while using them:
- Know what kind of spill you’re facing and where it is
- Understand what procedures need to be followed if a chemical spill happens
- Have contact information on hand in case of an emergency
- Know when a spill is too much to handle
Choose AEG Environmental as Your Chemical Spill Cleanup Company
Our team can handle any type of waste you put in front of us. Don’t risk your safety and health! If there has been a hazardous mess of any kind, call us today and get the best chemical spill cleanup services available!