As a hazardous waste generator, it is extremely important that you keep yourself up to date on all rules and regulations that the EPA and your state and local governments dictate. In order to know which of those rules apply to you, you first need to know which category of hazardous waste generator you fall under. The three categories are:
- Very small quantity generators
- Small quantity generators
- Large quantity generators
The amount of hazardous waste you produce in a calendar month is what determines your category. Please note that due to RCRA rules, your state’s categories may be different from the Federal guidelines. This is merely a very brief overview of the EPA’s guidelines.
Very Small Quantity Generators (VSQGs)
VSQGs generate one hundred kilograms or less of hazardous waste, or one kilogram or less of acutely hazardous waste per calendar month.
A VSQG must:
- Identify all hazardous waste they generate
- NOT accumulate more than one thousand kilograms of hazardous waste at one time
- Ensure all hazardous waste is safely delivered to a facility or person who has been authorized to handle it
Small Quantity Generators (SQGs)
A small quantity generator generates more than one hundred kilograms, but less than one thousand kilograms of hazardous waste per calendar month. Some of the requirements for SQGs include:
- They may accumulate hazardous waste on-site for up to 180 days without getting a permit. If they are shipping materials over two hundred miles, they are allowed two hundred and seventy days.
- On-site hazardous waste quantity must never exceed six thousand kilograms
- There must always be at least one employee on-call to respond in case of an emergency
Large Quantity Generators (LQGs)
A large quantity generator generates more than one thousand kilograms of hazardous waste, or more than one kilogram of acute hazardous waste per month. Some requirements for LQGs include:
- All waste generated must be managed in the proper containers and buildings
- Must submit a hazardous waste report every other year
- Comply with all relevant hazardous waste manifest requirements
WE CAN HELP YOU WITH YOUR HAZARDOUS WASTE DISPOSAL AND TRAINING. CONTACT US TODAY!
No matter what kind of environmental issue you may have, AEG Environmental can help. We handle every situation with care, dedication, and a commitment to exemplary customer service. When you have an emergency, you can rely on us! Need training? We can handle that too! We train in a wide variety of environmental management areas so that your company can remain compliant with EPA, DOT, and OSHA. Make sure to check out our blog for the latest and greatest in the waste management world! You should also follow us on social media for updates.
Contact us today!
Call Toll-Free: 1-877-876-1100
24 HR EMERGENCY RESPONSE: 410-494-7587