A flood can cause catastrophic damage. When you add hazardous materials to the equation, the risk goes up significantly. With all of the rain we’ve had recently, much of the East Coast has been dealing with flooding. Unfortunately, heavy rains aren’t the only cause of flooding, either. A burst pipe can also do its fair share of damage, even in the summer.
If your facility handles any sort of hazardous materials, you should plan for the worst case scenario, even if you don’t think you need to worry about it. When flooding occurs, flood waters can carry those materials anywhere. The contaminated water would be dangerous for you, your employees, your community, and the environment. Not only is it unsafe, but business owners can be held liable for any contamination and its required clean-up.
You can’t do a whole lot to prevent flooding, but you can prepare for it. An estimated $7 in losses can be saved for every $1 that is invested in preparation. The first step is to educate yourself and your employees on any possible risks and to make any necessary changes to your hazardous material control policies and practices. Some preparation and investment now could save you quite a bit of money and headaches in the future.
HAZARDOUS MATERIAL GUIDELINES
- Don’t over-buy, purchase only the amounts of materials that you will need.
- Use the safest materials available to accomplish what you need.
- Dispose of hazardous materials as often as possible.
- Use waterproof containers, and label them properly.
- Whenever you can, keep materials stored indoors and above flood-level.
- Take any necessary measures to make sure your equipment won’t fall, break, or float away if flooding occurs.
FLOOD SAFETY PREPARATION
- Make sure you have a spill-plan
- Keep clean-up materials handy
- Make sure you and your employees know what types of materials you have, as well as their potential risks and clean-up protocols.
- Stay up to date on weather conditions so that you can be prepared for a potential flooding situation.
WE CAN HELP YOU WITH YOUR HAZARDOUS WASTE DISPOSAL AND TRAINING. CONTACT US TODAY!
No matter what kind of environmental issue you may have, AEG Environmental can help. We handle every situation with care, dedication, and a commitment to exemplary customer service. When you have an emergency, you can rely on us! Need training? We can handle that too! We train in a wide variety of environmental management areas so that your company can remain compliant with EPA, DOT, and OSHA. Make sure to check out our blog for the latest and greatest in the waste management world! You should also follow us on social media for updates.
Contact us today!
Call Toll-Free: 1-877-876-1100
24 HR EMERGENCY RESPONSE: 410-494-7587